next season starts November 7th...R U Ready?

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Jamaica vs. Canada

Coach Edwards played her first game in the Fiba Americas Tournament yesterday and had this to say:
Our first game of the tournament was today at 1pm against Canada. Breakfast was at 8am and we were served a ham sandwhich with runny eggs. This was our only meal before the game so I opted for two slices of plain toast. After breakfast, I stopped by the coach's room and was told that we had four players that appeared to be ineligible due to naturalization dates, so we had to choose one to compete with us. We chose the point guard since she was the only point guard that traveled with us. It was a 20 minute bus ride to the arena in town. Right before the game, we found out that all four players were, in fact, elligible. In the first quarter, Canada was up 20-3, and all three of our points were mine on free throws. This showed our lack of chemistry and the fact that we traveled without three of our main guards this trip. In the end, Canada won despite my 25 points. USA vs Cuba was like a championship game. They are considered the two strongest teams in this competition and it was won by only six points. I got a chance to sit and watch the USA game with Donna Orender, a good friend and the president of the WNBA. I got to see my former teammates, Sue Bird and Izzie Castro (Brazil) and my former coach, Anne Donovan (Seattle Storm). Donna is an amazing woman. She was kind enough to offer to take me and my teammates out to dinner. This is not a common occurrence but it is like Donna to be so kind.
On a side note, I got to carry the Jamaican flag during the opening ceremony. After the ceremony, I hung out with all my friends on the US national team. It was nice to see all of them again. After this first day of competition, I am #1 scorer with 25 points, #6 with 7 rebounds and tied for #1 for blocked shots.
Tomorrow we face USA at 1:30. Wish us luck!
Coach Edwards

No comments: